Tuesday 18 September 2007

Activists for the liberation from seagulls


Image via

I'm a bit of a sucker for anything related to group dynamics and problem solving, particularly when it comes to a good old fashioned agency ding dong about processes and politics. To the annoyance of my colleagues no doubt, I'm somewhat of an idealist. I believe there should be way more collaboration, more productive conversations with smaller groups than long, pointless meetings with all and sundry.

I also get angry with pessimists, idea killers and micro managers. They are the antithesis of the kind of people you need in an agency to get ideas off the ground. In my opinion these people should realise their skills might be better suited elsewhere, like perhaps a bank, or better still a factory.

I like to refer to these people as Seagulls. They fly in to meetings squawking away without any idea of what's going on and then proceed to shit all over everything. Undoubtedly this will be repeated everyday up until there is nothing left in the team or the idea. They will then blame everybody apart from themselves and simply fly off and shit somewhere else. There's at least one of these in your agency, admit it? You avoid inviting them to meetings at all costs, or you refrain from putting yourself forward to work on certain accounts. They sap the life and enjoyment out of everything and turn the process of creation into a stressful and frustrating job, that just needs doing. That's why I find this idea of coliberation refreshing.

I try my best not to get caught up in all the politics, but occasionally it's inevitable, particularly as a planner. It might just be me, but I think the 'planning department' is often treated a bit like Switzerland. You're seen to be this kind of objective mediator between feuding nations. I believe we would all like to think of ourselves as liberators as opposed mediators and coliberation is a much more productive term than collaboration when it comes to agency group dynamics.

2 comments:

Will said...

I like to use the odd dose of 'seagull' tactics sometimes.

Like you, I have no time for people who are pessimists in this respect. But a healthy amount of reality is sometimes useful - unrestrained optimism is just as dangerous as pessimism.

We then start suggesting using say Twitter to clients who have nothing to say - and God knows, that's worrying.

I agree completely and utterly about the smaller meetings, rather than inviting all and sundry. That sometimes bothers me.

Carl said...

Yep I'm with you on that Will. I do think though that good people generally know when to hold back and when to let go. Self awareness is needed I guess