Wednesday 15 August 2007

What's your planning style?



I've only just come across this, but Leland posted this a while ago about the taxonomy of planners. Thanks to Adam for flagging it on the Plannersphere. I find stuff like this really interesting and I was particularly intrigued to see how I might fair doing the Myers-Briggs test. The Myers-Briggs test is used by Mckinsey to assess the cognitive processes of candidates.

According to Leland's description my hunch would be I'm somewhere in between 'emotional' and 'relationship acumen.' So after a brief search on zee veb, I managed to find this very rough version of a Carl Jung and Isabel Myers-Briggs personality test.

I came out, so to speak, as a ENFP

Strength of the preferences %
Extroverted 56
Intuitive 75
Feeling 25
Perceiving 11

This means I'm apparently...

- Moderately expressed extrovert
- Distinctively expressed intuitive personality
- Moderately expressed feeling personality
- Slightly expressed perceiving personality

I think it's actually scarily accurate. I agree that I am all of the amazing things it says I am ; ) It categorises me as a Champion Idealist. Which after reading makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. This part being my favourite:

'This type is found in only about 3 percent of the general population (the top 3 or the bottom 3 I wonder?), but they have great influence because of their extraordinary impact on others. Champions are inclined to go everywhere and look into everything that has to do with the advance of good and the retreat of evil in the world. They can't bear to miss out on what is going on around them; they must experience, first hand, all the significant social events that affect our lives. And then they are eager to relate the stories they've uncovered, hoping to disclose the "truth" of people and issues, and to advocate causes.'

9 comments:

Amelia said...

Ohhh, shall I try this? I always get a abit scared about things like this that it will tell me stuff that I don't really want to know about myself!

Carl said...

I know what you mean. Probably a planner's worst nightmare

Will said...

I'm going to have a go...

Thanks for the link btw - I like the blog.

Will said...

Right, my scores are...

Extraverted 56
Intuitive 38
Feeling 25
Judging 56

And a moderately expressed extrovert, a moderately expressed intuitive personality, a moderately expressed feeling personality, a moderately expressed judging personality.

Finally, my style is a Teacher Idealist, and "ENFJs are global learners. They see the big picture. The ENFJs focus is expansive. Some can juggle an amazing number of responsibilities or projects simultaneously. Many ENFJs have tremendous entrepreneurial ability.".

I like it..

Carl said...

Cheers Will, thanks for stopping by. Some good slid scores there!

Anonymous said...

Carl,

Thanks for posting this.

This might sound odd, but things like Myers-briggs tests have been enormously informative to me - well, more than that - therapeutic.

I'm glad to see other people get past their apprehension of finding out a little more about themselves. Though it's only ever a guide. Must remember that! And no right or wrong answers. Just strengths and tendencies.

I score as INFP. One of the rarer and more troublesome types! More detail here: http://adamcrowe.mypersonality.info

Take a test and get a bloggy badge here: http://mypersonality.info

Anyway, good work. I hope more people will stop by and share their test scores, or at least see how some people benefit from knowing them.

Fellow INFPs, send me an email. We have stuff to discuss!

Adam

anthony said...

My style? I suppose you could call it the art of planning without planning.

Carl said...

Thanks for stopping by Adam, Anthony. Consider yourselves allies

Adam, I tried that personality test and it's much better. Cheers for the heads up. I also noticed a group results tool on there as well which I might try and unleash on the plannersphere

Anonymous said...

Group results? Now that WOULD be useful.