Monday 4 June 2007

London launch 2012 brand



I'm not quite sure what to make of this effort by Wolff Ollins. When I first saw it I thought it was a bit 'down with the kids' and perhaps they've tried too hard to relate with the yoof.

According to London 2012: "the new emblem is dynamic, modern and flexible reflecting a brand savvy world where people, especially young people, no longer relate to static logos but respond to a dynamic brand that works with new technology and across traditional and new media networks.

The design brief was for an emblem that represented the four key 'brand pillars' of access, participation, stimulation and inspiration, culminating in the brand vision of 'Everyone’s Games'". Nice to see the usual brand jargon in there in order to justify the £400K fee. When I first saw it I said to myself, wow, you can really feel those 'brand pillars' jumping out at you. You can read the full release here.

After seeing the promotional video it does get a touch better, but I'm convinced there are some young designers out there that could have done a much better job. In the true spirit of London 2012 I would rather have seen the best young talent competing with each other to come up with something that was truly reflective of that generation. At the moment it's a bit twee and too top down. The promo video feels a bit like a kids TV programme and is likely to be even more out of date in 5 years time. Despite all this I do hope it grows on me and they manage to use it imaginatively. Fingers crossed it doesn't make us look like the numpties of the world.

I'm sure the £400k involved more than just designing the logo (at least I hope so). I would love to find out the rationale and how they got there before I make a judgement, but people are already caning it online in less than 24 hours of it being lanuched.

Re-creating the logo in under 8mins


London 2012 logo as Maggie from the Simpsons

No comments: