Monday 12 March 2007

More on football

I’ve been watching a few matches lately and some clubs are attempting to recreate that lost atmosphere by giving all the kids inflatable noisemakers (nicely branded of course). I admire their efforts, but it’s a bit like putting a small plaster on a gaping wound. I can hear the die hards now saying something along the lines of: "When I was a lad I had to sit on my Grandad’s shoulders just so I could see".


Clubs are going to need to do a hell of a lot more than this to get the atmosphere back. Although I do think some ingenuity from the fans would also help. After all, they will understand what is needed better than the club. I was reminded of this great example from Blyth Spartan. Spartan are a lower league Scottish team in the Highlands who have an avid following that dress up as Mexicans in order to add a bit of fun on match day.

No comments: